Change someone’s world.
Sage Mentor Goals
To develop a positive, long-term relationship with a mom involved as a client with Children and Youth Services, to mentor personal growth, development and decision making, consequently creating positive personal and peer relationships.
The Role of the Sage is to support their Grace mentees by:
- Empowering them to resolve current issues and to develop coping strategies for the future.
- Provide a model for a healthy, trusting relationship through clear communication and setting appropriate boundaries.
- Acknowledging their strengths and talents, and encouraging them to find ways to use these towards the goal of financial and emotional stability.
- Be an active listener and offer support and encouragement. Contact the volunteer manager for additional and immediate support, if needed.
- Engage in activities outside of the home or office to help expose the client mom to new opportunities and experiences which will enrich their lives.
Responsibilities to Second Grace:
- Monthly supervision/support/training meetings with the volunteer manager or guest trainer.
- Individual meetings with the volunteer case manager or director, as scheduled.
- Maintain confidentiality of participants.
- Clear and immediate communication with family, caseworker and volunteer manager, when needed.
- Recognize role as a mandated reporter and immediately report issues.
- Provide feedback assessment useful to development of the program.
Qualifications as a Mentor:
- Willingness to provide emotional, social, and practical support.
- An understanding that non-judgment and even open-hearted love is necessary for trust building and true transformation to begin to root in people with traumatic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of one’s boundaries and ability to set limits with others.
- Recognition that all people have strengths which they need to discover and believe in, if they are to use them for betterment.
- Valid driver’s license and insurance.
- Completed application process consisting of written application, references, interview, background check, and volunteer training.
Commitment to Grace Mentee:
- Monthly supervision/support/training meetings with two-year mutual commitment between mentor and Grace, and a commitment to the importance of the mentoring relationship with a willingness to treat it as a priority.
- 6-10 hours a month with Grace mentee and a minimum of 2 activities a month; activities may include attending court hearings, doctor’s appointments, trainings, group sessions or outings to develop rapport.
- Weekly phone calls for support and accepting phone calls as necessary for development of the Grace mentee.
- Drive or arrange for transportation to appointments, if necessary.
- Provide guidance and be respectful of the mentee’s time, opinions and decision making.
- Serve as a positive role model by demonstrating desirable behaviors such as tolerance, reflective listening, positive parenting, patience, and kindness.
- Honor your commitment to the mentee.
Mentor Information Sessions
Second Grace works with young mothers involved in the child welfare system. These mothers have lost, or are at risk of losing, their children to foster care and are working to keep their family intact or be reunified with their children. Second Grace will help young women stabilize their lives, establish safe and nurturing homes, and heal the hurt in their lives.
Join us for an information session on the Second Grace mentorship program. We hope to provide enough information for you to decide whether you want to join us on this journey to healing for the young women who become a part of our program. The session will help you to understand the following topics:
- Purpose, Vision, & Goals of the Organization
- Review of Training Requirements
- Timeline of Program Implementation
- Questions & Answer Session
Dates & Times
Stay Tuned for Upcoming Information Sessions
Sessions will be held at:
High Cross Farm
1610 Landis Road • Mount Joy, PA 17552
Please fill out the form below. You are not required to upload a resume or letters of reference at this time. If you choose to move forward with the mentor training, a resume and letters of reference will need to be submitted at completion of the Information Session. A Second Grace representative will contact you soon.
We hope you will join us in helping these women get their lives back on track.